Tuesday, March 20, 2012

New Feeders and an Addition

Sunday I stuck my head into the top of the hive for a minute and swapped a few empty frames toward the middle.  6 to 7 frames in the top and bottom deep were full.  I also added a medium super with undrawn frames to give the bees some extra room to expand.  I still feel like it might be a little too early to make a split.  So hopefully this empty room will give them some where to grow until I can do the split.

Monday evening when I got home from work, the UPS guy had been by and delivered some equipment that I had ordered from Kelley Bees and Brushy Mountain.  I had ordered two Boardman or entrance style feeders to experiment with.  On one I put a pint jar and on one I put a quart jar.  Both have 2:1 syrup with fumigilian.  It will be interesting this evening to find out if they've found them yet and how much they've taken.  I put the pint jar close to the ziplock bag, but I put the quart jar on the other side of the garden, about 100 feet away.

Hopefully, I'll have some pictures tonight that I can add to this post.

We're setting record highs here nearly every day now.  Yesterday was the last day of winter, and it was 86.3 F (30.17C).  Today should be more of the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment