Saturday, August 4, 2012

Some Good and Some Bad

The month of June was super hot and super dry, so all the good clover and other plants wilted or dried up.  Luckily, we live close to Watts Bar Lake so they have access to plenty of water.

I haven't had much time to devote to the bees for the past month or so.  When I finally did get back into the hives, I found that the main big hive has one super full of honey, and two suppers filling with honey. I'll check back in a couple of weeks to see if they're making progress on the honey.  I sure hope so!

The split I made had not fared as well.  The last time I looked in it, there was still no queen, so I gave it another frame of eggs and bees and hoped it would take off.  Well, it didn't work.  The bees went to the other hive or died off.  The wax moths moved in and so I've got  a lot of frame scraping to do.  Here's some pictures of an 8-frame hive that has been taken over by wax moths.  I hope none of you see this in real ilfe:

No comments:

Post a Comment