1. The bees are in the hives.
2. Phone-Camera battery was dead.
Got the bees home. Sprayed them with a little sugar water
(the sprayer didn't spray very well, it doesn't like syrup). Took the
wooden lid off the first one and the bees just poured out. The wooden cover of Walter T Kelley packages
isn't a tight fit around the can, and the queen cell is stapled to the
top, and there's lots of room for the bees to get out. It took me a
while to figure out that I needed needle-nose pliers to get the can out.
Once I got a grip, the can came right out. Then we got the queen box
out (Dad was helping me). Took a knife and got the cork out. Put an
empty deep with the package inside on the bottom. Put the frames with
the best comb in next. There's a top feeder with syrup on top.
Repeated the above steps (it was a little easier this time, now that I
knew what to expect) for the other hive. So now I have an 8-frame and a 10-frame hive.
I'll go down there in a little while and remove the bottom box and
package. They should be all out of it by now (or in a little while).
Hopefully they'll like their new homes. It's got to be better than
riding around in back of a truck in a package! They sure are buzzing
I've got the phone charging now. I'll take some pictures of the Walter T Kelley packages so you can see what I mean about the gaps.