Saturday, March 24, 2012

Building a Hive

I am getting ready to do a split.  The "in-service" hive now is 10-frame.  It has two deeps and a medium on it right now.  I got a deep and a medium 8-frame to experiment with.  I ordered the first hive assembled, as I didn't know how they went together.  After looking it over and thinking about it, and since Mom and Dad live up here now and Dad is a woodworker, I thought I'd take a chance and see if we could assemble a hive.  It really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.  And, I should have put it together as soon as I received it, but it's been setting a couple of months because of schedules and stuff.

A rubber mallet is a handy item to have when putting the sides and ends together.  Since I started with Brushy Mountain, I ordered this hive from them, too.  I have since learned that Kelly Bees sends nails with their hives, so I'll probably try them next.

Below are some pictures of us working with the new hive components:

No comments:

Post a Comment